Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving.....family, food, fun and football!!!













I still haven't fully recovered from the comatose state I always go into after eating the Thanksgiving meal. I stopped counting after my 5th helping of cornbread dressing.....then there were Aunt Liz's shrimp, the turkey, of course, fresh and canned cranberry sauce, homemade applesauce, sweet potato casserole, green bean bundles, creamed corn, rolls, and it was the pecan pie that simply put me over the edge. I'm not kidding......my stomach is still stretched out from the meal, and because of that, I seem to have to fill it up more each day now that I'm home. This must stop.......but before it stops, I have to give you the recipe for the applesauce muffins (thanks Beth) I made today to go along with Mama's spiced tea. They are wonderful, and the kids devoured them. Sprinkle on the powdered sugar, and enjoy them warm. Heaven!!! J
Applesauce Muffins
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 tsp vanilla, divided
4 cups flour, sifted
1 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp allspice
3 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups original applesauce, not unsweetened
Cream butter and sugar....add eggs and 1 tsp vanilla. Sift together the flour and spices and add to the creamed mixture. Blend 2 tsp vanilla and the baking soda into the applesauce. Stir applesauce mixture into the other with a wooden spoon (I don't know why!) Batter will be stiff. Spoon batter into greased muffin tins or paper muffin cups 1/2 full. Bake at 400 for 12 minutes or until done. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve hot with butter, or not.....Batter will keep in the refrigerator a few days.



No comments: